POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New POV-Ray webpage : Re: New POV-Ray webpage Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:24:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New POV-Ray webpage
From: Fox Neilson
Date: 12 Jul 2002 15:02:46
Message: <3d2f27d6$1@news.povray.org>
> * FTP, that is whenever you log into your web site to upload files, you
> transmit that password in clear text!

There are extensions to FTP to make it secure...but yes it is usually clear
text

> * POP3 mailboxes, that is at least everybody who uses something else than
> webmail or AOL, which ends up being a real lot of people!

That is about the dumbest statement I've heard all day.  First of all most
corparations use IMAP and not POP.  Secondly POP has MANY extensions for
secure passwords, and many clients/servers implement them so the average
person will not have a clear text password, and thirdly POP can be used with
SSL or TLS.  The actual percentage of people who send clear text passwords
on a regular basis is very low.